There are a variety of fitness goals. Some people want to be slim, others strive towards pure strength and bulk, there are those who desire to be well sculpt and shredded, and finally, there those who simply want to maintain their current physique. Of course, if any of these mentioned goals require a specific diet, even if you only try to maintain your current weight, the change in metabolism can thwart your efforts, even if your diet remains the same.
The following article will list a few different regimes, for different fitness goals. What you can do to lose weight, what to avoid if you don’t want to put on some extra pounds, what to eat if your goals are to increase the size of your muscles and their recovery speed.
Nutrition diet for losing weight
If you have a desire to slim down a bit, here’s what nutritionists suggest:
- Breakfast should be enriched with protein, since it is the most important meal of the day. You should add some red and green veggies as well as some cheese, preferably mozzarella. Eat some mixed barriers for dessert, and rest assured this was a protein filled and healthy breakfast. Alternatively, you can opt for tomato juice, some Greek yogurt with nuts, and go for tea instead of dessert.
- A late hour snack can be a problem, but at the same time it is hard to fall asleep since you are hungry. Dried tart and cherries are filled with melatonin, which will ensure you get some sleep, and you will have an impression that you are well fed.
- Lunch can consist of Tuscan white bean soup filled with spinach and with a vegan sausage on the side. Once again, you have a regular protein intake with a smaller amount of food, which is easy on your stomach at the same time.
- Desserts like chocolate and ice cream are to be completely switched with fruits like strawberries for example, and you can mix them with Greek yogurt.
Lastly, try to remove bread from your eating regime completely, since it is a weight gain powerhouse.
Avoid mid-night snacks
Easier said than done unfortunately, since our late night snacks occur mainly due to stress. Of course, when stress eating occurs, nobody goes after broccoli or carrots, we go after chocolate, ice cream, hot dogs etc. However, if you want to avoid obesity problems in the future, you need to either stop or at least alter your late hour diet.
It was already mentioned in the previous section, what can be a snack solution for your restless night problems, but here are a few more. Low fat milk and cereals are a nice alternative, also you can eat an apple along with a tablespoon of peanut butter, or a banana and hardboiled egg.
It is also worth mentioning that if you have night eating syndrome that you are actually dealing with a minor disorder and that you should also ask for professional help. Once again the best thing to do is eliminate this habit completely.
Protein and carbs for better exercise
As far as serious workout is concerned, you need to know the most important ingredients for muscle gains are carbons and proteins. If you have a large intake of carbs on daily basis and don’t burn them out, then those carbs are transformed into fat. However, it works both ways, meaning when you lack carbs, your fat is transformed into this energy, so when trying to lose weight you need a good cardio workout and lower intake of carbons.
For the purpose of gaining weight you can increase the intake of carbs, but make sure you have a good workout session. You can eat a powerbar before training or drink coffee, since caffeine will energize your body. Drink chocolate milk after workout to replenish your energy supplies. Pasta is filled with carbs, which is why a lot athletes consume it before training. You can also drink some green tea to increase the metabolising process of the carbons, meaning your energy will be delivered faster to your muscles
Proteins support muscle growth and they help restore torn muscle fibres. Meat is usually the most reliable source of protein, so homemade chicken meat is a good meal before your exercise session, beef is another protein powerhouse you can rely on. In the event that you are a vegetarian, you can opt for beans as your protein supply, but of course, it will never be as effective as meat proteins, but still it is the best replacement out there. And as mentioned, breakfast should consist of eggs, omelette, sunny side up, or hardboiled.
Constructing a balanced breakfast
It was already established just how important breakfast is, but it can also hinder you in your weight loss attempts. The truth is, if you want to lose weight, you need to have a balanced breakfast. If we are to start our day energized and well fed, we need carbons, fat and protein, and these supplements need to be in a somewhat balance state.
A natural or recommended balance should go something like this – 50% carbs, 20% protein and 30% fat. Unfortunately, an average breakfast usually has this ratio – 62% carbs, 22% protein and 16% fat, and the total intake of calories amount to approximately 250. Clearly, no harm done if one meal looks like this, but this is your regular breakfast, this imbalance happens on a daily level, and you need to change it ASAP.
Here are a few breakfast versions you can try:
- Oatmeal with peanut butter, use milk not water and add some low sugar fruits, like strawberries for example.
- Toasted bread with eggs, along with an avocado, and perhaps some almond butter.
- Cereals with some Greek yogurt along with some nuts or low sugar fruit, and some ham and turkey for proteins.
You can always rely on these solutions to help you out when you are in need of a good morning meal.